Membership & Approval Handbook (READ ME FIRST!)

Welcome!

This guide book will explain the process for new members to join the Connecticut Garrison, as well as how to have a new costume approved once you're an active member. If you're reading this, you've likely already taken your first step into becoming a 501st member. If you haven't already done so, please register on our forums! Please also be sure to look through the Membership Requirements and the Costuming Requirements to make sure you're comfortable with them.

Saying Hello

Once you've registered on our forums as a new recruit, you'll see a welcoming post in the New Member Introductions section. Please be sure to chime in and meet some of our members, as well as talk about why you decided to join the 501st. Get to know us! :)

Building Your Costume

A great first step to determining a costume is to look through the Costume Reference Library (CRL). This is a list of all different approvable costumes the 501st currently has criteria for. The CRL outlines the requirements of each costume, including specific details that you'll need to have in order for it to meet the 501st standards. The CRL is divided by Detachment, a grouping of costumes by type. You can also view the CRL by all costumes by name.

You'll notice each CRL has a color coded box next to it; this represents the current completeness of the particular entry,

CRLcomplete.jpg- CRL is complete.
CRLtextcomplete.jpg- CRL text is complete, some images may be missing.
CRLinprogress.jpg- CRL is a partial work in progress.
CRLstub.jpg- CRL status undefined.

For your first costume, selecting one with a completed CRL will be your best bet. If the CRL is not complete, you'll have to work with the Detachment to make sure the specifics are up to their expectations.

Detachments

While building your costume it is very strongly recommended you join the detachment forum for that costume and work with them. They'll be the experts on the given costume, and end up being treasure troves of useful information in the building process. You can find a listing of all detachments here, and below:

Armored Cavalry Detachment (AT-AT Drivers, AT-ST Drivers and Armor Assault Commanders)
Blizzard Force (Snowtroopers)
Bounty Hunters Guild (Bounty Hunters)
Clonetrooper Detachment (Clone Troopers)
First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment (Stormtroopers)
Flagship Eclipse Detachment (Expanded Universe (Non Troopers))
Imperial Gunners Corps (Imperial Gunners)
Imperial Officer Corps (Imperial Officers, Imperial Crew, Imperial Navy/Death Star Troopers)
Jolly Roger Squadron (TIE Pilots)
Krayt Clan (Tusken Raiders and Jawas)
Mos Eisley Police Department (Sandtroopers)
Pathfinders (Biker Scouts)
Sith Lord Detachment (Film Canon Sith Lords and Dark Side)
Sovereign Protectors (Royal Guards)
Spec Ops Detachment (Special Operation Troopers)

Work in Progress

As you're building your costume it's very important to ask questions and get feedback--a quick fix early might be a huge fix later! As such, it's very highly recommended you post a build thread in our Costume Building section. Here you can easily ask questions, show progress pictures, and see other members works and mistakes to help learn. Detachments have similar forums, and it's advised you post your build progress on there too!

Buying Costumes (Danger!)

Many costumes for sale may say they're "501st approved", or even have been approved at one time. The 501st, the CTG, and the detachments do not endorse or automatically approve any costumes or makers. For a costume to be accepted it will need to meet the standards of the CRL and fit your build well. Purchasing a second hand costume or a completed costume does not guarantee admission, and may need substantial work to make it approvable. Buyer beware!

Approval Process

Once your costume is completed and ready to submit for approval, you'll need to follow a few steps.

First, if you're not already a member of the 501st Legion, please fill out the Membership Form at the main 501st Website: http://www.501st.com/members/join_form.php

Next, send an email to the CTG membership e-mail address, membership@ctg501.com, and use the following format:

Applicant Name (first and last):
Forum Username:
501st Member ID (if already a member):
Costume: (IE: ANH Stormtrooper, Stunt)
CRL Used: (IE: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt)

You'll also need to attach or link to high quality photos of your costume! See below.

Required Pictures

You will be required to send with your email a collection of high quality images, as listed below. Please consider the following:

• Background
    Images should have a plain or uniform background. Please make sure the background is contrasting to the costume (IE: don't take stormtrooper pictures against a white background) so details can be seen.
  • Lighting
    The lighting must be adequate to see all details in photos. Consider taking the images outside during the daytime. Try to avoid any sort of extra shine or glare that could make image details hard to see.
  • Focus
    All images must be in focus so detail can be seen.
  • Cropping
    Images should only show the applicant. We do not want to see background objects from your house, cars or streets, or other unnecessary "stuff" in the images.
  • Resolution
    Images must be high enough resolution to see details. Please ensure at least 1280px on the shorter dimension.

The following images are required for all approvals:

• Front Shot - Helmet On
    A shot from the front of the wearer. Their head and their feet must be visible.
    Example Image:
     LSCOz7s.jpg
  • Back Shot - Helmet On
    A shot from the back of the wearer. Their head and feet must be visible.
    Example Image:
    D8x7O3c.jpg
  • Left Side Shot
    A shot of the left side of the wearer. Arms raised to show details under the arms if necessary.
    Example Image:
    kIofIcG.jpg
    NuC0wdH.jpg
  • Right Side Shot
    A shot of the right side of the wearer. Arms raised to show details under the arms if necessary.
    Example Image:
  • JDo3iOF.jpg
  • Detail Pictures
    Show closeups of any CRL required addon, greeblie, etc. Including your blaster!
    Example Images:
    tpJkBMZ.jpg
    c57O5bK.jpg
    l9J7zeU.jpg8KwDbsZ.jpgLdd59NI.jpg
  • Front Shot - Helmet Off
    A picture of the wearer, head to toe, without their helmet on (or any other face obscuring part)
    Example Image:
    Bql2tW0.jpg
  • Action Shot
    An action or posed picture of the wearer. Don't have to be stiff for this one! Show off a bit. :)
    Example Image:
    TKoA9bx.jpg
  •  

You can upload your images directly to our Costumes section in the Gallery for image hosting, or another site such as Imgur or Google DriveDo not use photobucket.

Review

Once your email is sent off, your costume will be reviewed by our Garrison Membership Liaisons. This process can take anywhere for a couple of days to weeks, depending on how common the costume is, how accurate and detailed your images are, and other factors. Please be patient! If the GML requires any additional details in photographs they will respond asking for more.
Once your costume is reviewed and no further corrections are needed, you will be approved!

If this is your first costume, you'll receive an e-mail usually the following day with your new 501st ID.  This ID is for life! You'll also be set as an "active member" and be able to see any CTG exclusive content, have access to merchandise boards, etc.

If you're already a member, your costume will be set to "Approved" and added to your legion profile. You're now able to use the costume at trooping events!

Whats next?

It's time to start trooping! Check out the 501st Trooping Survival Guides, as well as our Events Section!

FAQ:

• I am an "Active Member", what does this mean?
    You're a member with an approved costume, that has participated in at least one event in the year, and completed the census during October. You have full 501st status. Read more here.
  • I am a "Reserve Member", what does this mean?
    You're a member who has not participated in a costumed troop in at least one census year, or has failed to complete the most recent census. You're unable to purchase merch, vote, and some other privileges. You can regain "Active" status by trooping before the next census year and contacting a member of Command Team. Read more here.
  • I am a "Retired Member", what does this mean?
    You're a member who has been "Reserve" for over a census year. You have very limited access to 501st sites and discussions. To regain "Active" status you will need to follow the above process to have your costume re-approved, and perform at least one troop! Read more here.
  • I am a "Discharged Member", what does this mean?
    You're no longer welcome here.
  • I am an "In Memoriam Member", what does this mean?
    In Memoriam Members are those that have become one with the force. Their 501st ID will forever be retained. Images of their profile are retained on the Eternal Legionaries page.
  • I just bought this sweet costume off Ebay, guy said it was 501st approved! When can I start?
    You likely got ripped off. No costume is approved by default, and you'll have to go through the above process.
  • I bought a second hand costume from a member, this means it's approved, right?
    Costumes are approved for the wearer, not by the costume. You'll need to submit the costume with you wearing it for approval. You may need to make additional changes as well!
  • I sold my only costume, what happens?
    You're set to "Retired Member" status, and will need to build a new costume and be approved again to be returned to "Active Member" status.
  • I was approved as a Stormtrooper--my only costume, sold my costume, then bought a new one, what happens?
    You're set to "Retired Member" status. You'll need to submit your new costume for approval, even if it's the same type of costume as one you've been previously approved with.
  • Love 1

8qAXZbQ.png
Garrison Web Master | First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Leader Emeritus

ANH Stunt Stormtrooper - Centurion | ESB Line Officer - Imperator |Dengar - Approved
Heavy Weapon Trooper - Centurion| ESB Stormtrooper- Approved | Admiral Daala - Approved| Jodo Kast - Approved

• 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Membership & Approval Handbook (READ ME FIRST!)
  • This topic was pinned and featured