Please welcome our newest recruit - David Schroll

Please join me in welcoming our newest recruit to the Connecticut Garrison, David Schroll, @dschroll!

David is from Fairfield CT and is building the cool, classic, and ever stylish Stormtrooper!

??

David, be sure to check??out??Imperial Protocol??for more information, and be sure to set up a build thread in our??Costume Building??section.

Please be sure to review the??Membership Approval Handbook??for more information!?? If you have any questions feel free to ask

??

8qAXZbQ.png
Garrison Web Master | First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Leader Emeritus

ANH Stunt Stormtrooper - Centurion | ESB Line Officer - Imperator |Dengar - Approved
Heavy Weapon Trooper - Centurion| ESB Stormtrooper- Approved | Admiral Daala - Approved| Jodo Kast - Approved

Also, be sure to consider stopping by our next Armor Build party and say hi! :)

??

??

8qAXZbQ.png

ANH Stunt Stormtrooper - Centurion | ESB Line Officer - Imperator |Dengar - Approved
Heavy Weapon Trooper - Centurion| ESB Stormtrooper- Approved | Admiral Daala - Approved| Jodo Kast - Approved

Thank you so much!?? Joining the 501st to crush the rebellion has been a life long dream of mine.?? I'm actually relatively new to the state of CT as I only moved out here 2 years ago from Chicago, IL.????
But now that I am here it is time to join the ranks of the 501st.?? I am very new to the costume building part of this.?? Truth be told, it was the most intimidating part for me and I thought about trying to purchase a pre built costume than build my own.?? However, Andy Tam (a work colleague that I recently discovered was in the 501st) convinced me to just go ahead and join, advising that there are many resources and people that will help me along the way.?? So, this is my first step into this new galaxy.

I love the idea of the armor building party.?? Not sure if I will have anything in hand by July 21, but if I can I will still stop by to say hello.????

Any help or advice that you can offer is greatly appreciated.?? Andy mentioned about me contacting Walt Trooper Factory, so that is my next step.????

Thanks again.?? Happy to be aboard.????

??

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dschroll said:

Thank you so much!?? Joining the 501st to crush the rebellion has been a life long dream of mine.?? I'm actually relatively new to the state of CT as I only moved out here 2 years ago from Chicago, IL.????
But now that I am here it is time to join the ranks of the 501st.?? I am very new to the costume building part of this.?? Truth be told, it was the most intimidating part for me and I thought about trying to purchase a pre built costume than build my own.?? However, Andy Tam (a work colleague that I recently discovered was in the 501st) convinced me to just go ahead and join, advising that there are many resources and people that will help me along the way.?? So, this is my first step into this new galaxy.

I love the idea of the armor building party.?? Not sure if I will have anything in hand by July 21, but if I can I will still stop by to say hello.????

Any help or advice that you can offer is greatly appreciated.?? Andy mentioned about me contacting Walt Trooper Factory, so that is my next step.????

Thanks again.?? Happy to be aboard.????

??

David, I was in the exact same boat when I first decided to join a couple of years ago; it's SUPER intimidating, and I think my unassembled kit say on my table for a good month before I was brave enough to start cutting!
Truth of the matter is, it's easy once you've done it!?? And if I can manage it, I think anyone can!

The best advice I can give to you is do your research and ask questions early and often!
The 501st is divided into "Detachments" which oversee groups of costumes.?? The First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment oversees the classic stormtrooper costumes--and lucky for you they're by and far the most active Detachment out there!?? Be sure to register and look at their site over on https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/

A bit more information on FISD here:??

??

??

Before you purchase any armor kits, blasters, etc, I'd strongly advise you check out the Vetted Makers List over on FISD.?? ??A "Vetted Maker" on that list is someone that is reputable, is not selling re-casted parts, and has quality goods.?? If they're not on that list, I'd strongly advise asking our GMLs before buying or you might be getting taken for a ride!??

I'd also suggest setting up a build thread on FISD and on here so we can help as you go along.?? You can also view other people's build threads--FISD has literally hundreds of them, and I suggest checking out UksWrath's especially detail thread.?? He used an Anovos kit in that thread, but any will follow just about the same pattern.

Hope that helps for a start!?? Don't ever be afraid to ask questions :)

8qAXZbQ.png

Hey David,

Welcome!! I think I know you.... Hehe

Oh great, now you are going to talk me into buying more stuff for??work. :/

Andy Tam

TI / CC / TD - 33333

PW / PH-33333: Professional Wrangler / Handler

Thank you everyone for the great information. ??I will read through all of this to see what next steps I need to take. ?? One of the suggestions given to me was to join the Walt Trooper Factory on Facebook. ??Unfortunately I don't have and really don't want a Facebook account. ??Is there any other way to contact Walt Trooper Factory besides Facebook???

Walt's Trooper Factory Facebook group is a general help forum. ??While it has great Q&A and is a valuable resource, you can get by easily with only FISD if you want to forego Facebook.

If you were looking to purchase armor kits from Walt, I'm sure there's email or contact # on his site to use. ??It might even be listed in that Vetted Maker's list. ?? He pops by the forum occasionally too.... @rottie

8qAXZbQ.png

Welcome David!

CTG??GML / GWL

SpecOps -- TX19736
- Magma Trooper (WIP)

WhiteArmor??-- TK19736
- TLJ FO Executioner (Basic Approval)

BlizzardForce?? -- TS19736
- ESB SnowTrooper (Basic Approval)

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up that I got my BBB from WTF, so now I just need various tools (and instructions/guidance) to start the assembly process. ??I will definitely make a strong effort to attend the next build party. ??Looking forward to it. ??

Edited by dschroll
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, dschroll said:

Just a heads up that I got my BBB form WTF, so now I just need various tools (and instructions/guidance) to start the assembly process. ??I will definitely make a strong effort to attend the next build party. ??Looking forward to it. ??

Woooo!?? Big Brown Box day is the most exciting!

8qAXZbQ.png

BBB! alright! and make sure to ask lots of questions so we can make your build easy.??

CTG??GML / GWL

SpecOps -- TX19736
- Magma Trooper (WIP)

WhiteArmor??-- TK19736
- TLJ FO Executioner (Basic Approval)

BlizzardForce?? -- TS19736
- ESB SnowTrooper (Basic Approval)

On 8/6/2018 at 4:08 PM, First0rder said:

BBB! alright! and make sure to ask lots of questions so we can make your build easy.??

No worries. ??I will be bringing the tools I've acquired thus far and my BBB to the build party on Sept. 1. ??I will no doubt have lots of questions but am excited to get started. ??Many thanks to everyone for all of your support.

Edited by dschroll

Welcome David! I am also a newbie, working on a Boba Fett. Good luck with your Stormtrooper build. Everyone in here is so very helpful and I???m sure it???s going to be an amazing experience for you. Hope to see you soon.

Is there a particular dremel tool that people recommend using to build a TK armor kit?

I was told to get cordless, but many of the reviews for the cordless ones say the battery dies fairly quickly. ??There are so many different variations too in terms of how much power they have, what accessories they come with, etc.

Anyone here have good experience with one in particular they recommend? ??I'd rather take someone's word for it than to keep digging around on amazon to see if one is better than another as it seems most people use them to trim their dog's nails....not for building TK armor kits ;)

On 8/14/2018 at 7:50 PM, dschroll said:

Is there a particular dremel tool that people recommend using to build a TK armor kit?

I was told to get cordless, but many of the reviews for the cordless ones say the battery dies fairly quickly. ??There are so many different variations too in terms of how much power they have, what accessories they come with, etc.

Anyone here have good experience with one in particular they recommend? ??I'd rather take someone's word for it than to keep digging around on amazon to see if one is better than another as it seems most people use them to trim their dog's nails....not for building TK armor kits ;)

Corded is most often best with hand-held power tools (IMO).....you can borrow my Dremel and all the attachments it comes with and see if you like. LMK

Jimbo

ANH Sandtrooper TD-11506

I have a corded one.?? Just threw it into an extension and screwed around with it outside but 5 minutes ago.

Cordless is awesome though! Super convenient. Either will work, you only really need rotary tool to do the helmet eyes and teeth.

8qAXZbQ.png