2019/2020 CO's Notebook

Hi gang!

I thought it would be nice idea this year??to have this thread as a sort of blog for me to inform all of you of what I'm getting up to with the Legion and how I'm representing the Garrison on the public stage.??First, I'll give you a??quick rundown of how the Legion Council works, who can vote, and what my expectations/duties are.

The 501st Legion has two Council rooms that are used to decide many issues of policy and procedure.

• Open Council??is viewable by all membership and is used to discuss most important Legion matters. Examples include: proposals to change the election process, protocol for inducting honorary members, and public notice of dishonourable discharges.??
  • Closed Council is only viewable by Garrison COs, XOs, and the Legion Command Staff. It is used to discuss sensitive issues (e.g. member discipline) and react to statements not yet publicly released. It is expected that CC material be kept private until it is released to the general membership.

Closed Council participants are also expected to discuss Proposals (e.g. the Due Process for Membership Revocation motion last year) and then vote on them if/when they become a Poll. Usual Legion changes occur as so: CC member??proposes an amendment to the Charter or a change in status for an Outpost/Garrison/Member -> CC discusses proposal -> if popular, proposal becomes a CC Poll -> if the poll passes, the Poll is put to a vote of active membership -> if poll passes active membership, changes are enacted as per proposal. Certain other issues (e.g. dishonourable discharges) skip a active membership poll and are enacted after a successful CC vote.

As CO (and @First0rder??as XO) we are expected to:

• Participate in amendment and proposal discussions.
  • Vote in Amendment, New Unit, and "Trooper of the Month" polls.
  • Engage in other minor discussions in CC. The perspective of the Connecticut Garrison should and will matter in worldwide issues.
  • Include the opinions of our Garrison members. You elected me to represent you - I want to know how you are feeling about what is going on with the Legion.
  • Share details of active membership polls and encourage members to vote. You are members of this club and are entitled to have "your say" in how things are done.

I will endeavour throughout the year to post here any of my thoughts on Legion business that it is appropriate for me to speak about. Please feel free to??send me a PM or get in touch with me at troops if you have any questions about how things work or how I've been voting. I work for you, after all. :)

• Love 2

Z1MzQD1.jpg

Christopher Bailey??| TK-66402
Approved Costumes:??ANH Stunt??(Centurion) | Heavy Weapons Trooper??(Elite Infantry)
In Progress: ANH TIE Pilot??| Zuckuss

"Those who forget the past are doomed to... blah blah blah..."

Current business

We're currently in the process of ratification new members of the Legion Command Staff. A full lists can be found here:??https://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=102212

After reading a little bit about each officer I have voted to ratifiy them all besides William Holmes as Legion Charity Representative and Karl Gehring as Legion Executive Officer. I'm still weary about the Galatic Senate business from last year that intimately involved Bill Holmes (Pm me if you'd like a better explanation of the whole business) and I'm not sure his appointment is appropriate whilst we're still trying to work out what went on with that. I also don't feel Karl Gehring has the experience to fufil a role as (potential) LCO, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised.

On a brighter note, I'm very excited to have Nicky Blum back as Legion Events Coordinator. She's performed excellent in this role for many many years, and I know she'll do an excellent job again this year. I have also been quite impressed with Satya (Chris) Bailey as a Legion Captain of the Guard??and I hope he serves the Legion admirably this year.

Until next time, troopers.

• Love 1

Z1MzQD1.jpg

Approved Costumes:??ANH Stunt??(Centurion) | Heavy Weapons Trooper??(Elite Infantry)

• 2 weeks later...

Right now @Alay, Eric Brager of the NEG ("DarthAloha", also a Legion Membership Officer), and I are heading up a proposal to the Legion that would give Detachment Leaders the permissions to view and discuss??Closed Council business. The text of our amendment can be found here:??https://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=102456

Last year the LCO got Detachment Leaders temporarily involved in CC stuff and it went pretty well from what I've heard; often DLs have useful experience and knowledge that they can contribute to crucial discussions. I guess there's obviously a little bit of self-interest here (Sarah is DL for FISD) and getting more of the CTG involved with important Legion matters is nice. We aim to get DLs involved but aren't aiming to give them a vote. Another person might bring that up at a later date (for which I would entertain the possibility but likely vote against).

In other news:

• No parade really sucked. We had really nice weather either side of Sunday but the day itself was bloody miserable. I'm satisfied that we made the right decision to not march.
  • I'm quite looking forward to blowing off the cobwebs with a nice troop on Tuesday??and then going over to Rhode Island to lend the NEG a hand.
  • Finally, I've got some very good news. It's still in the very early planning stages with the Legion, but Weird Al Yankovic will be stopping off at Foxwoods on July 19th as part of his latest tour, and his people have reached out to the LEC to get the 501st involved! We have a rough idea how everything will work from previous years but once they've hammered out the details with Nicky Blum (LEC) we'll be opening signups for the night. Weird Al likes to get us out on stage with him when he does his Star Wars musical number. :)
  • Love 2

Z1MzQD1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends! Been a busy week.

• I'm very much looking forward to Space EXPO??this weekend, and the small social we're doing at Bobby V's afterwards. It makes me very happy to see a mixture of CTG, NEG, Kamino Base, Alderaan Base, and our friends from the New England Droid Builders attending. We're definitely stronger when we all work together.
  • ??We have a couple of merch-related announcements to make in the next week or so, just in time for May 4th.
  • The Amendment I mentioned previously (giving Detachment Leaders the right to participate in discussions within Legion Closed Council) passed a Council vote and is now in a poll of general membership -??https://www.501st.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=102828. Please head over there and exercise your democratic right to vote. :P
  • Like 2

Z1MzQD1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello friends, it has been a while. :)

67150803_465609607608184_5338547999926648832_n.thumb.jpg.046aeb498f6e61d25a59d3aae066d1d9.jpg

First off, I'd like to congratulate and welcome Louis Secki (@Mylehigh) to the CTG. His costume is excellent and I hope to see him at some of our events in the near future! :)

Speaking of events, here's a selection of things we are or could be doing in the next 2-3 months:

There's also obviously the Premiere of "Rise of Skywalker" on December 20th (at the Prospector Theatre, if they're interested in having us back!) and any other requests we get in the meantime. Go sign up for stuff!!

In other miscellaneous news:

• We were recently generously donated a set of Death Star replica backdrop panels by our good friend Randy Ambramson (@magni)! Expect to see them displayed at Terrificon next month.

received_399195767608211.thumb.jpeg.8e8d98df84cfb00a1b0d51f49c5dceab.jpeg??
  • I've also received permission to present artist Paul Gulacy (artist for my favourite Star Wars comic-book "Crimson Empire") with Honorary Membership of the 501st Legion. I've had a plaque made up for him and we'll do the presentation at Terrificon.
  • We're looking to get a coin run and a patch run done before the new years, as well as discuss a new, secondary logo design for the CTG, and have a think about 15th Anniversary merch for next year. Keep an eye out for those.
Finally, it was my pleasure to be involved with the Weird Al Yankovic performance last weekend, and you can find the signature board I got from the event at the top of this post. I had a great night and I'm really proud of all our troopers (plus a few of our friends from the NEG) who turned out to support the Garrison.
??
Until next time... keep trooping!
??
- Chewy
  • Like 1

Z1MzQD1.jpg

Spelt my name wrong. I felt bad for a second. I'm over it now. I'll still make add on panels in the future. Maybe next CO will spell my name right??? Maybe.?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, magni said:

Maybe??? next CO will spell my name right??? Maybe.????

Now there's a campaign promise ?

• Like 1

8qAXZbQ.png
Garrison Web Master | First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment Leader Emeritus

ANH Stunt Stormtrooper - Centurion | ESB Line Officer - Imperator |Dengar - Approved
Heavy Weapon Trooper - Centurion| ESB Stormtrooper- Approved | Admiral Daala - Approved| Jodo Kast - Approved

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi folks!??I promised a slightly better breakdown of our financial payments this year.

OUT

From our Garrison??Paypal:
$204.99 was paid to artists for design services.
$119.72 was paid to Design Print Banner LLC for table runner printing.
$30 was paid to Darren Blum for additional 501st leaflets for our table display.
$869.48 was paid to vendors as production and printing??costs for our merch runs in 2019/2020.
$14.70 was paid to the USPS for merchandise postage.
$50 was paid to the Town of Middletown for 2020 Pride Parade entry fee.

Non-Garrison Paypal
$90 was paid by Sarah for IPS license renewal (i.e. the platform we use for our forums).
$50 was paid to the Town of Middletown by Sarah for 2019 Pride Parade entry fee.
$114 was paid by Sarah for another year of Web Hosting costs.
$10 was paid by Sarah for renewal of our website SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate.

Total out was $1552.89. $1228.89 came out from our Paypal.

IN

To our Garrison Paypal:
$1239.79??? was received as payments for merchandise runs (CTG blue patches, bottle opener/challenge coin, CTG shirts,??11" blue patch, 3.5" red FOTK patch, logo lapel pins) and associated postage costs.
Of the above payment, $300 of which was received as payment for trading card printing.
$50 was received from Andy Tam as a donation towards the cost of the Middletown Pride Parade entry fee.

Total into our Paypal was $1289.79.

Current CTG Paypal balance is $131.93.

Z1MzQD1.jpg

• The topic was unpinned