Rogue One Vader WIP

Wow! Your skills and attention to detail are on point! Thanks for the info on this! Very helpful. And yes, that second screw looks much closer to the one in the reference photo. You???ve done some really great work so far! Can???t wait to see the finished costume. I don???t believe that I???m any more ???well versed??? than anyone else in our garrison. We???ve all got our own proficiencies in many different aspects of the characters in which we are interested in. But I like to stay open-minded and believe that there is always somebody that knows a little more than I do. This way, I???m always learning new details, tricks and techniques. I am impressed with each and every member???s creations on here. We???ve got quite an arrangement of talent in our CTG family. With people who excel in crafting abilities such as slush and pressure casting, decal production, 3D printing, painting and even inventing and engineering! Since I???ve joined this wonderful family, I???ve learned how to do things that I never thought I could do. And it looks like you are going to fit in nicely.

??Thanks again for taking a moment to show your processes. The info that you share is very helpful, not only to me but other folks as well. These costume build posts are very useful for future generations of new members who may be in need of guidance when building their own costumes. Keep up the great work, my friend.

Edited by Swiftcloud
  • Love 1

Jerred, your words mean a lot, thanks! This project has been a blast at every step, and it is so satisfying to step back and look at each part once it's done. And believe me, I am excited to eventually show it off.??

Completed the electronics today!

i-7D26gvN-L.jpg

i-KCs5r7B-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Just finished a proper belt hanging saber build. I wanted to replicate the OG saber as used for the actual Rogue One screen shots (for the??absolute few??frames??that it appears in). The story is that they found an old weathered saber hilt in a warehouse from the filming of ESB and used it as is, with its rusted and corroded condition some 36 years later. This is the actual prop from the movie:

i-QCjbxTx-L.jpg

??

This is my build:

- Original unit: 2005 MR ESB Saber

- Plug/socket: Authentic "prop accurate" from vintage Heiland 2-cell flash gun

- Wires: Wannawanga, scuffed up

- Bubble strip: Wannawanga, scuffed and slightly yellowed to??mimic??age and use

- Thumb screw: Wannawanga, modified to replicate the colors and patina

- Exactra clamp card: Slothfurnace, darker blue model to replicate aged circuitry

- Flat acrylic paints for "rust"

- Silver, gold, and bronze metallic Sharpies

- Slotted round head screws for T-tracks, heads coated with black paint and partially scratched off??withy my fingernails

- Side-set Allen head screw for clamp lever location??

- White conte style pencil for aged "gunk"

- various tools for scratching and??chipping the numerous surfaces??

??

i-wLKwZbD-L.jpg

??

i-7vSFnb5-L.jpg

??

i-sjQqB3W-L.jpg

??

i-gL8jt3L-L.jpg

??

i-sCQrqjH-L.jpg

??

i-7xVghD9-L.jpg

??

i-Rqh3s2c-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So many little things to continually tweak. I decided to return to the codpiece, as I kept ruminating on how inaccurate the first build was to the movie.????Just a reminder of what that cod looks like:

??

i-T6jzGp9-L.jpg

??

The result above is a hybridized version of RO with some subdued characteristics that take away the overall diaper look. And I do like it. But it isn't accurate.

Things that bother me:

1) The wrinkles nearly disappear when I wear this cod, due to the backward flexing of the foam innards when attaching the clasps under proper compression. I could fix this without making a new one by placing a rigid frame on the back.

2) The main part of the cod lacks a proper degree of puffiness, meaning not enough batting.

3) The center insert is too convex, this should be flatter.

4) The insert is too large, most notably regarding its width.

5) The left and right borders of the insert are incorrectly linear. Unlike all other variants of Vaders cod which have straight parallel borders on the left and right like this "||" the 4k screen captures all seem to show that the RO cod insert has a very slight elipse, more like this "()".

6) The insert ended up being almost flush with the main body of the cod, which is incorrect, as it should be inset slightly.??

??

These are the images I used for reference:

??

i-f2mBzm2-X2.jpg

??

i-WGNxC8J.jpg

??

i-V6C8RdZ.jpg

??

There are other screen shots available, but these are the best three images I could find to confirm all dimensions visible. The first image shows the cod with the insert slightly higher, while the second and third images show a slightly different cod with less puffiness (it's hard to confirm 100% due to pixilation, but I feel like it has less wrinkles). Also, I am just noticing that the buckle is slightly different on each, with the notorious tilt only exaggerated in the first image. I am highly convinced that there are two different cods here probably worn by both Daniel Naprous and Spencer Wilding respectively.??It would make sense that there would be two suits, since these guys have differing heights and builds, Naprous a stunt performer and Wilding a Kickboxer. And with the now known last minute effort to include Vader in the screenplay, it stands to reason that the prop makers didn't correlate details as well as they should have between the two suits. Ultimately I chose to find the middle ground between these two cods without loosing the overall aesthetic of the infamous diaper.

??

So on to the Space Diaper 2.0 build:

??

I essentially used many of the techniques that I devised in the first build. But having some empirical foresight helped me to plan ahead better, making for better cuts, and fitment. Also, one of the the things I didn't do with my first build was adhere all surfaces equally. So in addition to holding materials down with gaffers tape, this time I added a thin layer of 3M Super 77 adhesive spray to the backs of all surfaces that come in contact.

??

i-9H6ZwtL-L.jpg

??

i-CDG7hvm-L.jpg

??

i-WVknBrK-L.jpg

??

i-MrN6rRh-L.jpg

??

i-HpcqrHH-L.jpg

??

Spraying the edges of the foam to accept the pull-over of the leather before taping down.

i-Qhz3J3b-L.jpg

??

i-XvDnwLx-L.jpg

??

i-KPs5Nbg-L.jpg

??

Cutting the strip that will become the piping.??

i-HVx5dwg-L.jpg

??

i-BWZMhvk-L.jpg

??

The underside of the piping fold was masked and sprayed with 77 before folding and finishing with tiny strips of gaffers tape.??

i-RHb2b9F-L.jpg

??

Outer edge piping masked and sprayed before placing in the body of the cod.

i-3fpcXsD-L.jpg

??

i-W4pBXFD-L.jpg

??

i-5Fm7kDf-L.jpg

??

i-bFZv9Qq-L.jpg

??

i-3BpnPsQ-L.jpg

??

i-D7JrNDV-L.jpg

??

i-HTwNHrN-L.jpg

??

i-7mGcntd-L.jpg

??

Rigid ABS to resist flex in the center, which helps preserve the look of the wrinkles, adhered with craft glue before framing out with gaffers tape.??

i-TSCLs6f-L.jpg

??

i-Ghq26WF-L.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

For those not tired of following along with this build, finally made some last stage finishing to the remaining parts. This is my awesome wife working out the hem on the robe and cape.

i-WmxLpGB-X2.jpg

Her detail work is amazing, if I can possibly remain unbiased. LOL

i-MpnkZK8-L.jpg

Displayed in all of its completed glory...

i-h4SLnTD-X2.jpg

• Like 1

First audio test. It's only one step of pitch shift, since my natural voice straddles the bass/baritone line. But I'm thinking of bringing the pitch down just one more step to add depth to the timbre.??

??

• Love 1

Jason, this looks GREAT thus far! Definitely looking forward to seeing this come along. I've use Fenix as well and its great stuff!??

• Love 1

Nick

SL/TD/TX-686

Imperial Death Trooper, ANH Vader, and Sandtrooper (who wouldn't know a droid if it were sitting in a speeder right in front of his face)

1 hour ago, Feliz said:

Jason, this looks GREAT thus far! Definitely looking forward to seeing this come along. I've use Fenix as well and its great stuff!??

Thanks, Nick! I'm looking forward to applying for approval soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Dude this is absolutely amazing!!! Great job! I love the voice changer too! Incredible detail in your build. And one of the best WIP notes I’ve seen. Best of luck with your approval. Im no Vader expert, but I would think that you have a winner. Hope to troop with you soon!

• Love 1
On 10/3/2022 at 7:09 AM, Swiftcloud said:

Dude this is absolutely amazing!!! Great job! I love the voice changer too! Incredible detail in your build. And one of the best WIP notes I’ve seen. Best of luck with your approval. Im no Vader expert, but I would think that you have a winner. Hope to troop with you soon!

Jarred, thank you so much! I sometimes feel like I overkill the progress, LOL. Looking forward to meeting the garrison and being part of the fun, fingers crossed!

• Like 1

I had a random inspiration a little over a week ago to take my old hand made chest box and rework it into a "close-enough-for-government-work" version of the RO box. The reason? Because my original (and completely inaccurate) Franken-box has lights, including a sequenced LED set from Fettronics. I know many other ANH builds have done up a box with lights, keeping off for approval or LFL events, but turning on for fun. I'm choosing to do up a full second box because...why not?? You can never have enough parts lying around. Really, the motivation for this project is Halloween. With OWK having just released this summer, there will be just enough trick or treaters (and their parents) who will remember lights on the OWK Vader chest. Frankly I wished the RO Vader would have had them. But alas.

Here you can see the old box on the left next to the screen accurate one on the right. 

i-NF4G2P4-L.jpg

It makes me chuckle how proud I was of building this from scratch a couple years ago, thinking it was soooo accurate, LOL. Notice all the inaccuracies, mostly a hodge podge of elements borrowed from the ROTJ, ROTS and ANH, and none of the hand made greeblies are quite right. 

Pulled it apart to rescue the electronics that will be used for the new improved box. 

i-XnhNTKL-L.jpg

i-rrqZZcQ-L.jpg

Reworked the coin slots and toggles, all made of solid maple.

i-sLTWpwW-XL.jpg

i-BZxbdKj-L.jpg

The coin slots are much shorter than the proper ones, but I decided to salvage them and use them because I was too lazy to make completely new ones.

i-bW5vv4w-L.jpg

i-sCwg2PC-L.jpg

i-Dnx299m-L.jpg

i-Tr5B5zL-L.jpg

i-vkcGBNV-L.jpg

Made the lights from plexiglass and leftover colored translucent plastic.

i-mdz7zb2-L.jpg

i-xz4hkGm-XL.jpg

i-zt2Cqrq-XL.jpg

The original top cover was a piece of ABS cut to size and screwed into place. Replaced it with a thin piece of plywood cut to size and glued. This was after I ripped an 1/8" off of each side. The original box was 1/4" too large in square.

i-SwqkZtQ-XL.jpg

Once dried, I ran it through the table saw to add a two step bevel at 30 deg then 45 deg.

i-pLn6P7v-L.jpg

...then softened with an orbital sander.

i-qNTm2Ps-L.jpg

Then I took down the height of the box, originally 1.25" as you see it above, down to the correct 1".

i-zGF6L46-XL.jpg

i-QPdd2Lk-L.jpg

The most challenging part was figuring out how to make semi-accurate rods. Then I had a eureka moment...chopsticks and wall anchors.

i-XqF5sFs-L.jpg

i-9vdDjcV-XL.jpg

i-4BSTPmn-XL.jpg

Laying it out loosely.

i-Mx4GxfW-XL.jpg

Wood filler, sanding, and two coats of primer.

i-bTq3QPQ-XL.jpg

Three coats of satin black, wet sanded between layers. Aluminum parts replicated with chrome paint. Proper battle scaring. Same 1" leather strapping. A final side by side just to give perspective, actual box on left, new improved Halloween box on the right.

i-mxRXxC3-L.jpga

And with the lights on...

A keen eye will notice its just a hair larger than the official box, about 3.5 mm larger in fact. But I'd argue this is pretty negligible. Not like it matters since it won't be part of the approved suit, but I was making some small attempt to match the original as close as possible with minimal effort. LOL! A few Vaders over on the SLD think its actually accurate enough to pass for approval with the lights off. I'm not sure, but I plan to travel with both of these in the costume container just in case. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Swiftcloud said:

This is fantastic! I love how you handmade everything! That’s some skills right there!

Thanks, bro! That's the whole thing that got me started down this path in the first place, scratch building.  In fact, the original state of that lighted box, as you see it at the beginning of the post, is the first part that I built for my previous Vader costume. Really appreciate the kind words, Jarred. ?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

While I patiently await for approval, I've been continuing the little tweaks. 

Based on recommendation from fellow SLD members, I added velcro to the belt and cod to eliminate the gap that occurs over time while wearing (visible in my approval pics).

i-Jt3ZwD5-L.jpg

I also wanted to make sure I had enough battery life for a potentially lengthy suit up. I set up all electronic gear, and let it rip to burn it down while using all rechargeable batteries. After five hours of continual run time everything was still blazing. Very happy! Can't wait to break this costume in on Halloween in one week!

i-6fKvx24-L.jpg

I also just ordered some dark red plexiglass, and some computer mesh that I plan to paint silver. The lenses I have now are reddish enough, but I really want to match the Robe One screen specific images as closely as possible. Also, I just think it would be fun to learn how to make my own lenses from scratch. Would like to match this look:

i-ZMQbTkc-L.jpg

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, completely random, I stumbled on an old pic of my first Vader costume. Thought it would be fun to show off Mk1 vs Mk2 vs the current Mk3. 

i-p5SVSqn-XL.jpg

Edited by fowlmouth
  • Love 1
On 11/4/2022 at 8:39 AM, fowlmouth said:

Welp, my fellow Garrison mates, it is official. This Rogue One Vader has been approved!!!

Can't wait to troop with you! ?

Great news sir!!! I'm definitely excited to see you troop with us!!! Congrats!

• Love 1

Nick

SL/TD/TX-686

Imperial Death Trooper, ANH Vader, and Sandtrooper (who wouldn't know a droid if it were sitting in a speeder right in front of his face)

On 11/4/2022 at 8:39 AM, fowlmouth said:

Welp, my fellow Garrison mates, it is official. This Rogue One Vader has been approved!!!

Can't wait to troop with you! ?

Awesome!!! Congratulations! :)

• Love 1
  • 2 months later...

A lazy Sunday made a perfect day to do some upgrades to the ol' suit. Finally decided to tackle the red lenses. 

Comparing the old original amber/orange lenses with the new dark red plexiglass. 

i-PTbs7Cq-L.jpg

i-h7LNGgL-L.jpg

Rounded the edges.

i-vtXj2LS-L.jpg

Heat gun and tennis ball trick.

i-BJ82t9q-L.jpg

Computer fan mesh.

i-w5cRMfs-L.jpg

Painted chrome. I know this has been done  a few times by others with white, but to my eyes the closeup images of RO Vader have a shiny look that accentuates the roundness from under the lenses. 

i-P7S3GtW-L.jpg

i-GBqrpNX-L.jpg

Cut to size.

i-xJjQDX8-XL.jpg

Finished from 6 feet.

i-fpPgTdf-L.jpg

Closeups.

i-bWz3Gb7-L.jpg

i-x48RXqV-L.jpg

The benchmark screenshot with increased exposure in PS.

i-bwLfd3f.jpg

Video which more easily demonstrates the rounded reflective effect. 

Edited by fowlmouth
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Maulevolent said:

Those look great!  Love the chrome use and resulting effect!  Interesting choice of music though :)

LOL. I was listening to Thomas Dolby’s “The Flat Earth” album in my workshop. I realized after I uploaded. But hey, that is a pretty killer trombone solo. :D

• Love 1