Hello - Building a Death Watch: Nite Owl

Hi All! I'm currently building a Clone Wars - Death Watch: Nite Owl costume. I realized, after getting some feedback, that my gauntlets need to be replaced since I have visible hinges on them. (I also realize that in the pictures I have them on the wrong arms....oops). Does anyone have any recommendations for  gauntlets that meet 501st requirements that I can 3D print on my own?

Thanks for any guidance.  

Kimberly

IMG_6153.jpg

IMG_6149.jpg

IMG_6154.jpg

IMG_6152.jpg

• Like 2

This looks so sick and hope all works out in the few areas you need fixed still. @Swiftcloud any chance with your boba situation you could be of any help with resources or information? 

• Like 1

Quentin Salgado TX/TI/DS-72679 - CTG Public Relations Officer

Approved Costumes: Inferno Squad - Del Meeko & Inferno Squad - Gideon Hask & Kylo Ren: TROS

PW/ PH- 72679 Professional Wrangler / Handler

Great progress so far!  I'll try to do some digging on the resources and see if i cant find a file for you.  In the mean time, recruits are welcome to wrangle at any events so if you see something that piques your interest you can come by and meet the crew!

53289673_1934926336575727_4063280688286138368_n.png.4edfa8f587a2aed52f9f2e95f3fe790f.png

• 3 months later...

That kit is amazing!  Great job on it! I'm going to be attempting to add hinges in my Boba gauntlets as the velcro isn't holding up well to the many hours of trooping I did this past weekend at Terrificon. I'll let you know if it works and perhaps we can help you to simply modify your hinge set up so they aren't seen externally. 

I'm right now trying to decide if my next kit is going to be a live action Death Watch kit (leaning toward that one at the moment)  or a Tobias Beckett as a "dressed down" kit when I get tired of wearing armor.  :) 

• Like 2
On 5/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, Iconic_ctinferno said:

This looks so sick and hope all works out in the few areas you need fixed still. @Swiftcloud any chance with your boba situation you could be of any help with resources or information? 

Sorry, I just saw this. 
 Those gauntlets look rather simple to create in 3D design. I’m sure I could re-engineer them to have a different type of closure device. I would just need some dimensions first. They look thick walled enough to make some kind of pin latch system that could work. Kimberly, send me a PM and we can discuss dimensions and thoughts for this. I’m sure I can help.

On 8/3/2023 at 1:58 PM, Backpacks Got Jets said:

Bumping to see if there's been progress :)

Hey! Thanks for following up. Life has been crazy these past few months, so I haven't been focusing on this until summer started. I followed up with your Thingiverse suggestion and printed out new gauntlets. I've also just finished weathering them. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get them on and off easily and keep them in place.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I'm hopeful this will meet the build requirements.

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

On 8/4/2023 at 8:22 AM, Swiftcloud said:

Sorry, I just saw this. 
 Those gauntlets look rather simple to create in 3D design. I’m sure I could re-engineer them to have a different type of closure device. I would just need some dimensions first. They look thick walled enough to make some kind of pin latch system that could work. Kimberly, send me a PM and we can discuss dimensions and thoughts for this. I’m sure I can help.

Thank you so much for your offer to help me. I printed a new set with a different attaching system based on someone else's suggestion. I am now in the process of figuring out how to get them on and off easily and keep them in place.

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

On 8/4/2023 at 12:16 AM, Gian Daro said:

That kit is amazing!  Great job on it! I'm going to be attempting to add hinges in my Boba gauntlets as the velcro isn't holding up well to the many hours of trooping I did this past weekend at Terrificon. I'll let you know if it works and perhaps we can help you to simply modify your hinge set up so they aren't seen externally. 

I'm right now trying to decide if my next kit is going to be a live action Death Watch kit (leaning toward that one at the moment)  or a Tobias Beckett as a "dressed down" kit when I get tired of wearing armor.  :) 

If I ever get this build done and approved, it would be awesome to troop with a fellow Death Watch.

• Like 1

To keep them in place, try adding industrial Velcro to your sleeves and inside the gauntlet or some of the green foam inside them, or maybe add some parachute buckles inside them and “snap” them in place. 

from looking at your photos the grey shirt sleeves are too long and should stop just below your shoulder armor. Everything else looks good. 

IMG_6667.png

IMG_6668.png

Edited by jimsprenkle

TS commander 12614

TB-12614

I have a pet Wookiee too

ROTJ vader 

C1-1OP owner

On 8/6/2023 at 7:37 PM, Russok said:

Hey! Thanks for following up. Life has been crazy these past few months, so I haven't been focusing on this until summer started. I followed up with your Thingiverse suggestion and printed out new gauntlets. I've also just finished weathering them. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get them on and off easily and keep them in place.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I'm hopeful this will meet the build requirements.

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

Thank you so much for your offer to help me. I printed a new set with a different attaching system based on someone else's suggestion. I am now in the process of figuring out how to get them on and off easily and keep them in place.

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4531.jpg

If I ever get this build done and approved, it would be awesome to troop with a fellow Death Watch.

It definitely would be a lot of fun to troop with other DMs!  We're here to help in any way we can. Once I get my "hinge" situation figured out I'll share what I've done.  You could always go with "cloth hinges"... I see the odd shape of your  gauntlet seams and am thinking cloth hinges made out of a strip of elastic cloth could work for what you're looking to do... to close and secure them you could use a removable pin system...  hmm, thinking about this. There has to be an easy solution.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:58 PM, jimsprenkle said:

To keep them in place, try adding industrial Velcro to your sleeves and inside the gauntlet or some of the green foam inside them, or maybe add some parachute buckles inside them and “snap” them in place. 

from looking at your photos the grey shirt sleeves are too long and should stop just below your shoulder armor. Everything else looks good. 

IMG_6667.png

IMG_6668.png

If there is an issue with the gauntlets sliding up and down your arm when you move - I have a solution for that. I had the same issue with my Boba gauntlets. I added velcro straps inside the bottom half of the gauntlet "clam shells".... so the bottom half gets cinced to my forearm and then the top shell is placed over it. Works great, is comfortable and secure and one less thing I have to worry about. 

Here are the straps I use inside my gauntlets... they keep the bottom half from moving and I just place the top part of the "clam shell" atop the bottom and by proxy neither is an issue with sliding around on my arm. 

20230808_012413.jpg

20230808_012246.jpg

20230808_012337.jpg

Edited by Gian Daro
On 8/6/2023 at 8:58 PM, jimsprenkle said:

IMG_6667.png

IMG_6668.png

Thank you for the feedback on the gauntlets. The velcro idea is actually what I did the first time I made the gauntlets so I'll try that again. Thank you also for the sleeve feedback. This is all super helpful.

8 hours ago, Gian Daro said:

Here are the straps I use inside my gauntlets... they keep the bottom half from moving and I just place the top part of the "clam shell" atop the bottom and by proxy neither is an issue with sliding around on my arm. 

20230808_012413.jpg

20230808_012246.jpg

20230808_012337.jpg

Wow! I would have never thought of this. Thank you for the pictures; they are super helpful.

5 hours ago, Russok said:

Thank you for the feedback on the gauntlets. The velcro idea is actually what I did the first time I made the gauntlets so I'll try that again. Thank you also for the sleeve feedback. This is all super helpful.

Wow! I would have never thought of this. Thank you for the pictures; they are super helpful.

You're very welcome!  

Wow!!! (Just saw this)

Looking great!

Looks much easier to put on than those Boba. (Sorry Jarred, Joe and Brenda)

• Like 1

Andy Tam

TI / CC / TD - 33333

PW / PH-33333: Professional Wrangler / Handler

17 hours ago, Wildcardz said:

Wow!!! (Just saw this)

Looking great!

Looks much easier to put on than those Boba. (Sorry Jarred, Joe and Brenda)

No need to be sorry, Andy. You're probably right lolol

• 2 weeks later...